6.12.06

Migration to the Western World and my Religious Identity Crisis

Piece by piece, my family migrated from the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan to Canada throughout the mid and late 90s. My father went first in '96, followed by older brother in '97 and finally my mom and I in '98.
Throughout our first several months in the country we settled in the troubled Toronto community of Parkdale to live with my older brother and his wife (who he met here). Those days are now vague, as I spent them mostly playing soccer in the concrete parking lot of the building. Few months down the road, we moved to North York and stayed there until my parents divorced in late early 2000, then it was back to another apartment building in Parkdale where I spent most of my adolescent years.
By blood, my mother is Ukrainian and my pops is a Tatar. I have always leaned toward my Tataric heritage, as my looks do not resemble a typical Ukrainian person. Tatars were mostly nomadic people of North-East Russia until the 12th century rolled in. At that point on the time line, Islam was brought to my people from Baghdad. To this day, Tatars remain the most Northern followers of Islam.
I believed in God until I was about 11. I was always proud to be a Muslim since I was always told that all other Muslims are my brothers and Islam accepts everyone with peace. My views began to change at rapid speeds when I was exposed to the North American Muslims.
I could not believe myself!...When I used to tell brown/coloured Muslims that I was one of them, they would laugh at me. On few occasions, I was even asked to say a prayer in Arabic to confirm my claim of being a Muslim...I can pray in Arabic, and many people were amazed. A lot of the times though, I was accused of being a faker, and other times, peoples reactions were just plain old hostile. I went to a mosque with my father only once, back in those early days. To this day, still, I remember people sort of staring at us, as we were pretty much the only whites on the premises.
The funny thing is, I have never, ever met (or even heard of) a Muslim with coloured skin until I came to Canada. And if I had met one back home, there is no way in hell I would have ever been that hostile.
So yes, being a young individual at the time, this experience has shook my religious foundation and perception of people and their nature. I considered myself to be an Atheist until last year. I was able to regain my religious confidence and put aside those peoples opinions about me. However, I vow not to ever go into a mosque located on North American soil, as Muslims who migrated here from all over the world are in many cases hostile and extreme.

No comments: