15.1.07

Niqāb - The face veil thats taking it too far.

Firstly, this being the firs blog of the new year, I would like to wish everyone a happy new year. I hope it brings you good health, prosperity, and luck.


I don't know if I mentioned this in one of the earlier entries, but I am a Muslim. I am of Tataric descent. Ahmad ibn Fadlan brought Islam to my people around 922 A.D. Until 18th century, Tatars practiced a now inactive form of Islam called Jidism. It was a more tolerant/liberal form of Islam, many social beleifs from that era are still intact today. Tatars have never beleived in the idea of covering the womans face, thus, I feel that Muslim women are really taking it too far.
Tatars - late 18th - early 19th century
Tatars
Tatar woman, early 18th century
Tatar Woman


Today, the face veil is a hot issue, especially in Europe. The one case which sticks out in my mind is the teacher in England who made a big legal fuss because the shool she taught at wouldn't let her wear her Niqab. Not to mention that she tought kids who were like 7 or 8 years old. I remember being that age, and if I had a teacher who completely hid her face behind a black mask, I would be scared, or in the best case very uncomfortable. It is not normal. - Generally speaking, I consider it to be a retarded religious practice. Something that should have been discontinued in the 16th century, at the very least.


Not only do I think it is a silly religious practice, but there is also the political issue of immigrants. I immigrated to Canada 10 years ago. Ever since the day I got here, I've been doing my best to integrate into the host society. That's the problem, all these people are allowed to migrate into the developed countries, but then they are encouraged to keep their "identity" and all that bull shit, even a blind person can see that this causes secular issues.


Turkish women wearing a Niqab
Niqab
Personally I think once someone migrates into a country where they want to spend the rest of their natural lives, the least those people can do is leave their cultural/religious habits and leave them at home. Assimilate into the damn society.


However, it seems that democracy provide these immigrants with rights to keep their cultural etiquette/habits, whatever. That should be illegal - the Netherlands are working on bassing a "burqa ban"...I honestly think they are on the right path, North America should watch and learn.


Thanks for reading, hope I didn't bore you with my ranting.

No comments: